Domestic Amour

"A good home must be made, not bought." - Joyce Maynard

Monday, August 07, 2006

Fondant Fool

I have taken a few cake decorating classes over the last year and have been somewhat successful making basic cakes. I have been quite tempted though for awhile to make myself acquainted with fondant. It seemed scary and quite difficult so I had been putting it off for awhile. This Sunday I was looking for a project and decided that I would attempt a cake decorated with fondant. To make this task simpler I decided just to bake doctored up box cakes and make the frosting myself. For the base layer I made red velvet cake with a delicious cream cheese frosting. The second layer was a butter cake with a vanilla frosting. Both of those tasted delicious. I purchased store bought colored fondant for my decorative pieces. I had heard good things about marshmallow fondant and decided to make that for the basic cake covering. It all sounded good in theory....

The cakes came out beautiful, tasty frosting, and I was set to start the fondant. I started to make the marshmallow fondant and the beginning was easy enough. A very basic recipe. But once I started mixing I realized I was in for a project. I mixed and mixed and it took forever to get the right consistency. Once I reached that I attempted to color it and could not get the fondant one even color. I was so frustrated and worked on it for about an hour. I decided to move on to covering the second layer with fondant and it went much better. It was 11 by this point and I decided to call it a night and finish the next day.

My marshmallow fondant ended up being too hard to work with so I decided to go purchase Wilton fondant and finish the cake tonight. This was so much easier to work with and took a lot less time. I felt much less ambitious though. I covered the cake, decorated it, put it all together in less then an hour and my first attempt at a cake using fondant was complete.

It looks okay! Hopefully, I will get better and one day I could say that my cakes look great. I got the idea for the cake from my shower invitation. They were so cute and brightly colored that I though they would make a fun cake. I think that the ball on the cake looks like it is deflating. Oh well, at least I completed the cake. For my next adventure I think I will just cook up a tasty meal and call it quits on the cake decorating....for at least a week! I will post the recipe for the only thing worth attempting....hope you enjoy!

Crusting Cream Cheese Icing

1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, softened
1/2 c. solid vegetable shortening
1 bar (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1 TBSP clear vanilla extract
2 lbs. sifted powdered sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Cream butter, shortening, cream cheese and extract. Gradually add powdered sugar and salt. Beat on low speed until nice and creamy.

2 Comments:

At 5:19 AM, Anonymous nicci said...

i think it looks great. better then i could do.

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Claire said...

I'm impressed. I haven't baked many cakes, so fondant goes over my head for the time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home