Domestic Amour

"A good home must be made, not bought." - Joyce Maynard

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Cookie Craze


One night after a short nap I got the urge to make cookies. I knew that I wanted to take some to a friends house the next night for dinner but I could not decided which kind to take. I am sure that this was definitely a pregnancy moment in that I could not make any decision regarding food because they all just sounded so good. So I began the 2 hour cookie sprint that ended with three different types of cookies totaling about 12 dozen cookies in all. I took them to work, to friends, and then my sweet husband ate and ate till his heart was content. I made all of our old favorites and all of them and tried and true recipes. The chocolate chip are seriously probably the best I have ever had as far as staying soft and moist. It was a great week after that with cookies a plenty!

Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 c. Butter (2 sticks), softened
3/4 c. brown sugar, packed
3/4 c. granulated sugar
1 egg
2 1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In electric mixer, mix butter and sugars until creamy. Add the egg and mix until well blended. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt slowly. Mix well. Add the chocolate chips and mix. The dough will be thick. Place spoonfuls on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake 7-9 minutes watching carefully to make sure you do not over cook. Cool on wire rack.

~ I usually add a touch of vanilla to add a little flavor but have made them as the recipe calls for and they are just as delicious.

Snikerdoodles

1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. shortening
2 large eggs
2 3/4 c. flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 c. sugar
2 t. ground cinnamon

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Mix 1 1/2 c. sugar, butter, shortening, and eggs in large bowl. Stir in flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Mix well. Shape dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. Mix 1/4 c. sugar and cinnamon. Roll balls in cinnamon sugar mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes each. Do not overbake and cool on a wire rack.

Sugar Cookies with Cream Cheese Icing

1 c. butter or margarine
1 c. sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp. baking powder
3 c. flour

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cream butter and sugar in electric mixer. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add baking powder and flour one cup at a time, mixing after each addition. The dough will be very stiff, blend last flour by hand.

Do not chill dough. Divide dough into two balls. On floured surface, roll each ball in approximately 12" diameter and 1/4" thick. Use cutters of choice. Bake cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet on middle rack of oven for 6-10 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned. Watch them very closely and make sure that they do not overcook or cookies will become hard.

3 Comments:

At 10:30 PM, Blogger Claire said...

This sounds like fun. I could bake cookies all day and be happy! All of these are great...sugar cookies classic, snickerdoodles fun, and chocolate chip cookies another classic!

 
At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Kate said...

I love snickerdoodles with all my childhood heart. They were my fav cookie growing up and always remind me of my mom

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger debra said...

snickerdoodles are my childhood very favorite!! my mother made them often as they wer the only kind i liked! i used to sneak them while still warm coz i couldnt wait to eat them! i often smell them baking at the strangest times now...i know my mothers near when i do! i have been trying to recreate her cookies but cant seem to get them just right or the same. perhaps i never will! there are so many variations of the same out there now!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home